Monday, July 1, 2013

Kokanee Glacier Ski Trip - Feb 2013


7 Day ski touring in the Canadian Kokanee Glacier National Park


WOW!  I would have never have thought I would be invited on a back country ski trip in Canada.  I know many really good skier that go on these trips annually.  I just get to see the photos and hear the stories of their adventures.  Of course I would never be invited, I didn't ski.  I didn't grow up skiing or come from a ski family.  I learned to snow board over 10 years, but didn't love it.  What I liked was to be out in the back country exploring.  Four years ago I made the investment, I bought back country gear a season pass and started skiing.  It was not pretty, but I kept at it; Wallowas hut trip, ski clinics, lots of days alone building my confidence.  When I got the email asking if I wanted to go on this trip my first thought was there must be a mistake.  While I can now ski, I am not killing anything on the slopes, I do love to be out in the back country and to climb. 


In February 2013 I drove to Nelson BC with a bunch of skiers loaded our gear into a helicopter and the adventure began.  It was an amazing, challenging, exilerating and fun seven days in the back country.  Each day after breakfast we would venture out into the Kokanee Glacier National Park for skiing adventures.  Before dark we made our way back to the cabin for a few beers and amazing dinners, we repeated this six more times. 


view from the deck of the cabin - scoping our routes












  •  crossing the Kokanee Glacier
  • repeater on the Kokanee Glacier
  • old Kokanee Chief cabin












  • packed up and ready for the helicopter pick up








More Information:
Avalanche information

Fun youtube video - different trip same location

No comments:

Post a Comment