Sunday, August 5, 2012

Hull House Project Update; simple is not easy!

Progress on the Hull house is being made really fast!  Everyday when I get home from work I do a walk through to see what has been completed.  Everyday the results are dramatic; siding on, roofing material up, electrical done, insulation in, drywall up, painting done.  There are lots of decisions still to be made; lighting fixtures, flooring material, counter tops.  


My mantra or guiding principal for decision making in this project is to keep it simple, nothing fancy or overly decorative, to try and make decisions that will not be trendy and dated in a few years.  That is easy to say and not so easy to actually do. Simple is not easy!  


House colors - I went with Benjamin Moore Gargoyle for the exterior and winds breath for the trim.  This decision came after looking at many different houses in Portland, Hood River and Seattle.  I was actually looking for a warm brown, but that is a hard color to find and match.  When it came down to the wire and I had to have the decision made so the paint could be mixed, I took a sample paint book that the paint store loaned me to a house in Hood River and matching the color (I was hoping they would be home and I could just ask them, but no).  The interior paint choice was easy, I had already decided on white.  I know, I know, that is boring I even went with decorator's white even more boring than bright white or white dove which is the most popular white color.  The interior is small and I thought the white would make it bright in the winter and also make it feel more spacious.  Apparently the painters thought it was a pretty boring job, but easy.  The finished result achieved the goal, the space feels lofty, bright and open.  Once the flooring, kitchen and lights are in the house will not feel so spartan.

exterior siding and roofing material on
paint color samples - I used the bottom color
finished result for exterior color
interior framing almost done
electrical done, insulation in
drywall done - starting to get a
sense of the feel of the finished space.
interior paint finished - decorator's white
feels light and expansive!

No comments:

Post a Comment